Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Day 46: The universe has taken a hiatus from screwing me over

Lately things in my life have been going unusually well. The universe is typically trying to screw me so this is a pleasant surprise. I'm starting to wonder if there is something to the scary movie formula where characters who abstain (don't drink or have sex) are the only characters who survive the hockey masked serial kill. Spare the virgin!


So I have two days left of sobriety. I’m pretty excited about this. My first drink, after what will technically be 49 days of sobriety, will be a PetrĂ³n Margarita with salt at the Raw Martini with my boy Jody.


Recently an unlikely source has forced me to really take a look at how I approach relationships. This unlikely source is my roommate Guy*. Yes, the man who has the “ho train” running through his sheets actually has on point insight into love and relationships. He explained to me that playing games, being elusive and witty is not going to get me what I want or let someone know that I truly do care about them. He said if you don’t open up and continue being afraid you will push people away. Needless to say this strategy plays well into my commitment phobia. So after a long and very loud discussion on what I should say in response to a text from a special someone, I gave in . . . . sort of. We met in the middle. I responded in a way I typically wouldn’t. I never show my hand or even flash a corner of a card and now I felt like I was laying it all out there. To my surprise, he was right. The text led to a great conversation and which made me realize a lot. You have to give a little to get a little even if you might get hurt.


My player of a roommate is a hopeless romantic, who’da thunk it!


Although I still have this impending feeling of doom and that it is all going to blow up in my face I will enjoy it while it lasts.


*Name has been changed to protect the innocent.

1 comment: