Monday, March 2, 2009

Day 9


Today is the first day back at work post strep. I feel good that I had a productive weekend and I'm ready to dive into our new business pitches.

I trek to work in the six inches of snow. Snow is bullshit unless you are boarding it.

I get to work and hit the ground running with my boss. 

12pm: My boss and I order lunch.  During lunch I email my sisters to check in and see how their weekends were.  My sister Terry and I go back and forth. I tell her that I feel good about my sobriety. I feel like I'm doing good things. I came up with an idea for a charity and patched things up with Jody.  Things were looking up.

3:30pm: My sister calls me to tell me that she got laid off. So I'm a little nervous and sad for her.  My aunt and uncle might get a divorce which is freaking everyone out, my brother got into a car accident and my sister got laid off. Boy do I need a drink. I gather my self and think, "I only have about 3o more days. I can do that.

So in my effort to take my mind off of everything, I start to calculate the days.  I figure it's 30 days since lent is technically 40 days and I already have 9 or so under my belt. I realize in my calculations that lent is not 40 days . . . IT'S 47 DAYS!!! Since I started 3 days early that means I will be sober for 50 days. I start to hyperventilate. 50 days is a long fucking time. Ain't that some bullshit?

I'm miserable.

I decided to share my misery with everyone via this blog.  I will chronicle my journey of sobriety here. 

Lucky fucking you.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! This seems REALLY hard. I'm considering trying it along with you...considering is the key word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't try this at home. It is truly the worst idea I have ever had.

    ReplyDelete